Vertical Gardening

Hello!

I haven't posted anything in a long time, this summer has been crazy!  I went to Ireland for a couple of weeks in June and have been playing catch-up ever since! 

In the beginning of June, I went to Plant Bingo, hosted by the University of Illinois Extension Tazewell County Master Gardeners.  I won a bunch of great plants, and one of them was an Apple Gourd!

I know nothing about gourds, but you can either grow them up or out.  I don't really have the space to grow them out, so I've been trying to think of a way to grow them up, then I realized we have a TON of pallets at work!

I grabbed a pallet, chicken wire, a couple of rods, and some tye-wire and made a trellis!

I first drove 2 rods far enough into the ground, so it won't tip over.

Then, we lifted the pallet up over them, so they go right down the middle.

I then took cut the chicken wire to size and tie-wired it to the rods.


And there it is, easy!


I don't know how well this will work and if it's even large enough for gourds, but I figured I'd give it a shot!

When picking a pallet, make sure it has the IPPC certification symbol, HT, on it: http://www.palnetusa.com/a/global-domestic-pallet-standards/intl-pallet-standards/what-every-buyer-needs-to-know.tpl

That means it was Heat Treated and not chemical treated. 

I will try to keep you updated to see if this was a good idea or not.  Hopefully I won't walk outside tomorrow and it's on the ground!

Tiger Lily
I have this beautiful Tiger Lily growing in my yard!  I've harvested the bulbils off it and hope to start them indoors!

I also had this volunteer sunflower come up, probably planted from a bird!



Comments

Popular Posts