Homemade Vanilla Extract

Tonight I prepared my vanilla extract.  It is so much cheaper to make than to buy it!

I bought a 1/4 lb of Uganda Gold Vanilla Beans from Amadeus Vanilla Beans and just a cheap bottle of vodka.  I have read you can use either vodka or rum, but majority seem to use vodka.



First, I sliced about an inch off of one end of 5 vanilla beans.



I put them in a mason jar and poured in about 1 1/2 cups of vodka.

I put the top on, labeled it and put in a dark place (my pantry).

It will be ready in about 2 months, but the longer the better.

Trina at All That Is Good shows what it costs to make it at home compared to buying pure extract.  It's so easy, why would you not make it?!  Plus, make a few different bottles now and they will make great holiday gifts!!


Comments

Popular Posts