Whole 30 Grocery Shopping

Today I went grocery shopping for the Whole 30 for the first time.  I had planned on going to Hyvee because they have an awesome health food department, but then I didn't feel like driving a half hour to get to it, so I went to Kroger instead, which is only about 10 minutes from me.

First, however, I headed over to Heritage Farmers Market which is just outside of my town.  They are this wonderful little farmer's market that has all natural, locally raised and grown, Illinois products: Farm fresh milk, angus beef, pork, chicken, eggs, turkey, breads, cheeses, wine, fruits and vegetables, honey, jams and jellies, homemade baked goods, & so much more!  I bought a couple cartons of eggs, salsa, ribs, and ground chicken there.  They also offer lunch, but I haven't tried it yet.



After I left there, I headed to Kroger then.  I was there quite a long time studying my list and figuring out what has additives in it that we aren't supposed to have.  I needed apple cider, but the only kind I found had a bad preservative in it, so I wasn't able to buy it.  I also couldn't find beets, endive, and swiss chard at Kroger.  I may have over looked them, but I studied the produce for a long time.  I ended up spending just under $200, which is a lot, but it was basically all produce that I bought and some will carry over to next week.  Plus, you can't put a price tag on your health.  A heart attack is a lot more expensive!

We have a tiny fridge.  I'm not sure how I did it, but I made all of that fit in it.

We ended up going out to Hyvee then this evening to pick up the last few things I needed.  Turns out none of the 16 year old boys working at Hvyee knew what endive was.  The boy checking us out couldn't find it to look up the price so the other went to find it get price check it and he came back asking if it was lettuce.  Scott finally went and showed him where we got it from.

I also picked up some more Himalayan Salt at Hyvee.  I only cook with Himalaya Salt any more, never regular table salt.  Himalayan salt is millions of years old and pure, untouched by many of the toxins and pollutants that pervade other forms of ocean salt.  If you don't know anything about it, check out the benefits on Global Healing Center.

On top of preparing for my meals today, I got out and ran and walked 2 and a half miles, did 30 squats and some ab work.  I'm doing a couple of 30 day challenges for squats and abs.  I will also be running the Door County Half Marathon in May.  This will be my 5th year running this race AND my Bachelorette Party Weekend!!  I haven't ran much since I ran the race last year, so I need to start training ASAP, so I'm slowing working back into it.  Between exercising and eating right, I should be in the best shape of my life by my wedding in June!

Tomorrow I begin prepping the food for the week!

Comments

Popular Posts