True Leaves

Hello!  It's been a bit since I've gotten to post.  When I checked my seedlings this afternoon, I noticed some had a second set of leaves sprouting!

Now, I'm not sure if these will be considered true leaves or not, but I wanted to talk a little bit about this.

Before you transplant your seedlings, you will want to make sure you have at least 1 set of true leaves on the plant.  Everything I have read however, suggests at least a couple set of true leaves before you do anything, this way the plant is a little stronger before moving it.  The first set of "leaves" that plants grow are called cotyledons, and they are not true leaves.  Do not count these as a set of true leaves.


As you can see, the Snapdragons are doing well.  Some look like they may be getting crowded because I put too make seeds in one spot.  I will need to pinch these back at some point, but I will have to make sure to do it at just the right time, so I don't hurt the others.



The Impatiens are doing well also, they're growing slower, but they look like they're growing big and strong.  I haven't noticed any sets of true leaves popping up with these yet.

I bought French Dirt by Richard Goodman this weekend.  It's a true story about an American who moved to France and his garden.  I haven't gotten to read it yet, but it looks good, I can't wait!

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a small climbing plant?  I bought a trellis that's about about 4 feet tall, so I need something to grow that doesn't need a lot of space.  Any help would be great!

Next time I will talk about transplanting your seedlings after you have a few sets of true leaves.  Have a great day!

Comments

Popular Posts